Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Dixie Chicks

I know we talked about this in class but it has stuck with me all day and I have been thinking a lot about the video and just the group themselves. First, I am interested in the dichotomy of a group that chooses to express themselves in such a public way and then be so violent about the public's reaction to it. I just think the video is proof that they are still being punished for their expression and views and yet it also shows the medium that they choose to express their views only helps to perpetuate others' negative feelings toward them.

I think the color and costuming in this video was intriguing to me though. I love how artistic and symbolic the ink on the hands and the white dresses was and how the theatrical part was in white, covered in the black ink, while as she sang about how she is now she was in all black. I loved how powerful that was in conveying her feelings about her opinion. She was stained by the things that were said and the reactions to it and yes it is permanent, but she embraces them and I appreciate that.

I think I could use this in class to talk about the messages that we send, and the implicit messages that are also sent through the other aspects that we have control over like color and lines and costuming.

No comments: