Thursday, October 4, 2007

Media Literate Roommates make me smile


My roommate is a marketing/advertising major and is in a media literacy class. She just came home all excited about the movie that they had watched for the whole class. She seemed quite excited that they even got to watch a movie for class, but the fact that it was a good one was great. They apparently have been talking about lighting and sound and how that effects a piece and the message that it conveys to the audience. They watched Good Night and Good Luck. Which happens to be a movie I love. I love the fact that it is black and white and I love that some of it is real and I mostly love that George Clooney directed it. We were talking about how that movie is so effective in black and white because of how it supports its authenticity. Most people are also surprised to find out the George directed it too.

In a class we could talk about why the director chose to do this film, obviously made in our day, in
black and white. We could talk about how the lighting and the editing of the real footage alters the story for us. What does that do to our perception of these events in history?

No comments: