Monday, April 7, 2008

Freedom Writers -(Semi) Old School Movie Review #6

So- I will be honest, I was a little wary of watching this movie, only because I knew it was a difficult subject to swallow for some. Admittedly, it was a bit of a discouraging view of what teaching could be like at first, especially in an inner city school. I loved the story and I loved the performances-- something about it felt so honest to me. I loved also how well set up each character was in the story-- every student had a voice, even in the movie. The screen writer used their words and let the characters speak for themselves and that to me stood as a remarkable story of speaking out.

I thought the story had a more practical and personal use for me as a teacher because it made me think of specific classroom management techniques and how to create a democratic classroom. One of the most important things I believe teachers have the power to do is to create an environment where the students feel as one and can be themselves. It can be a powerful learning experience for them if they care about what they are teaching. Mrs. G. really tailored the lessons and projects to the students to make that possible.

1 comment:

Andrea Jolene said...

Liked. 3 of 5 stars..that should do.