Saturday, July 19, 2008

I am Jo March... there, I've said it.


I hate to post so soon after Dark Knight because it would appear that there is a lack of respect there, but alas.
Must take time out for all forms of media-- that would include theatre.

Last night I saw Little Women at the Hale and I was very pleased. Why does this show always induce tears? I think it is partially because of how indulgently female the story is: family of girls live in a time where being outspoken or un-feminine in any way is abhorred, female writers are much harder to get published, and sibling issues/events with an already emotional/hormonal family of females can get pretty insane. I also just feel like I am Jo March at times. I have too many dreams at times about just publishing something great or feeling "Astonishing" in the world... or at anything. And I would just love to play that part. I sing those songs in my car at the top of my lungs and it reminds we why theatre is so great.

I also love the love stories that evolve in the show. They are so subtle, and my favorite song is at the end as the professor (whom she has a very platonic relationship with at the time) says, Hey we are two different people, but you make me laugh and smile and I feel pain when you aren't there...etc. So sweet and real. And yes, were it not a live, theatre piece, it would be a cheesy girlish movie that you might sit and mock because it couldn't be more cheddar. But this one will always be a favorite. I loved BYU's production of it when they did it this past year, but I think I even liked this one more because of the ability to attend to detail and reality emotion wise. Plus, the other show was far too long and had random dancers in it because they are political BYU and had to give people something to do so they can feel important about themselves. Whatevs.

No comments: