Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Pushing Daisies


As I have been following along with the shows my brother has tivo-d and recommended, I decide to watch the first episode of Pushing Daisies. I have no idea what it is about and I am unaware of anything I am about to see. I only know that my brother whom I love and trust says that it is fabulous- whatever that means. As a media literate minded one, I watch the intro, fascinated by how beautiful every frame is. Every shot is a fun new surprise fill of color and symmetry and life. It is obvious to see that the artistic director meant this because it seems to be a recurring theme.

Again we meet a character who finds that he has a power that causes things to come to life when he touches them. If he touches them again-- they die. It is one of those things that sounds odd and lame when explained, but if you just watch the show, you will understand and love it.
This would be fun to show in class because it looks like every shot was created from a perfect advertisement of some kind. Everything looks perfect and in place, everything is in full and vibrant color, and the actors are so fun to watch. It would be fun to have the class bring in advertisements and/or pictures and create a short film or storyboard for one where we use some of these images and explain how we would use them. I think this would be good also because it would open a discussion about how artistic directors work and how the students can do the same thing as they create their own media. Link to watch Pushing Daisies, the full episode: http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing (may have to download a player)

1 comment:

maccam said...

"Pushing Daisies"
is Dope. per Mac