Saturday, October 20, 2007

Shed a little light on Vegastown.

My roommates all spent the weekend in Vegas as I was here in P-town all alone without them. They took this picture while they were there because they thought it was just so "neat." I couldn't stop looking at it because I think it captured something quite interesting that the girls maybe didn't notice even after they took it. The first think that comes to mind is how much the man's face in the middle of the ad stood out to me-- he has a very distinct facial expression. I wonder what he is thinking. I also instantly thought of how neat to have captured this ad because I have never seen one on a moving vehicle like this one before. I don't know if the church has thought about where they are advertising specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me. They are selling family values right there in the middle of the strip and they must be as big and bold as the world around them to do it. I wonder if those in charge of this "campaign" wanted the words to be coming from the man in the picture. That would make it even more powerful to see maybe. I also found it so poignant to see the buildings and the statue in the background because it clearly puts this picture right down in the world of Vegas.

If I were using this in a class I could ask the students what is interesting to them about it and what they notice that makes this picture have meaning. Why was this picture worth taking? What does it capture and what message does it send?

No comments: