Saturday, November 24, 2007

2 hours and 40 minutes of straight PINK cocaine

I am not going to lie and say that this wasn't a high. I could not get enough of this musical. I watched the filmed MTV version of the musical "Legally Blonde" last night and I am still singing it in my head. The musical version of this movie is something I will admit freely I was scared about. I was completely against the idea of putting a very pink and plot-weak story on stage, but I have to say-- I think they did it.

Watching the show I think they set up the "world of the play" quite well so that the audience bought into it and the style of the show from the start. Some of the songs are reused throughout the show but they all have different lyrics (obviously). It is interesting to see what it does to the story to do that: It gives the different parts of the show meaning as it goes. The entire opening song is just interrupted by mini scenes and lasts forever. Then there is a reprise and a finale that all center around the same song. The show itself never stops though. There are absolutely no scene changes that take place outside of a song. All of the modern sets moved around and flew in and slid on right in the middle of the huge musical/dance numbers so that there wasn't a moment to breathe or a break in the action.

I think the combination of the movement of the set and the never-ending songs kept the pace of the long show so that it went by fast. The movie felt similar to me-- in fact, as I watched the musical, I got lost and thought for a moment that I was watching the movie. It made me think of how important the set design is and how the movement of the music was so effective in matching the content of the show. It all worked together for the show's good. It was so fun that I think you forgive the fact that the story itself has hardly any substance to it at all. It was a set and costume designer's dream, a 13-year-old's dream, and a fun job for a lyricist. Thoroughly enjoyable.


No comments: