Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My heart hurts



This is quite sad. Yes, I know. My family and I have watched this short video so many times and laughed very hard at it. I think it is great that this little clip captures so much of its time and culture. The outfit that she it wearing screams 80's, the hair screams 80's.... and "Star Wars?" This is more old school than Van Halen! I also loved that she had to dance and play her instrument all at the same time because it showed more talent. Right. It also then shows her ability to act (she could be MDT!). This is why stuff like this has always been so fun for me to watch. In Arizona these cheesy pageants used to be a big deal. A lot of people cared about them, but the talent contests would become only vocalists, pianists, and violinists. If you couldn't do one of those-- well, you either had to fake one of those, or come up with something so unique that you could get noticed. This girl did just that, but she is so serious and intense about it that it makes for an interesting commentary on the times and how they may have changed.

No comments: