Saturday, January 12, 2008

Blood Pies - New Movie Review #1

I decided that I wanted to see Sweeney Todd, despite the many reviews that said it was ridiculously bloody and creepy. I wanted to see the show as a reference mostly because I haven't ever seen it and heard so much about it. I hadn't even watched the preview before going to this one because I assumed it would be good. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter... had to be brilliant. Well, the music was as I expected: Sondheim. I love the music, but because of the director's concept all of the uplifting or humorous songs, but one, were taken out of the movie so that all that was left was the eerie sounding chords and melodies that creep you out about the characters you are watching. The characters were great though. The afore mentioned were so fun to watch as was little boy, Ed Sanders, who is refreshing and sings amazingly.

The characters and style of the film stand out as a classic Tim Burton, complete with a flash-forward fantasy montage in full color that is so stylized and Burton that it forces you to laugh and you wish there was more. I get ill to see that much blood, but it is meant to look fake and it was quite comical at times. If you can handle the blood and like Tim Burton then you will enjoy it and I recommend it. For the record, I did like it and I am glad I saw it. But I will tell you that it left me feeling creepy for the entire night until I went and watched Spamalot to wash it away.

No comments: