Monday, February 25, 2008

You Rock!

Read this. Then we can talk.

ARTICLE: DIABLO CODY

Did you read it? I can wait......

Ok. I read her response on her myspace page sometime last week before the Oscars and I was furious right there with here. How could they exploit her for that!

I love that her "costume" represented what she wanted to about her. She is wild and crazy and her outfit was totally her own. (Sure I didn't really like it) But I love that she owned it and it felt like she was an individual expressing herself which is something I agree with whole-heartedly!

In the classroom, I thought about costume design. What do our clothes really say about us and how can we communicate a person's character through clothes? Obviously, we know that Diablo Cody doesn't take crap from anyone and she is one of a kind. She also has a very practical side too. He originally made her a second pair of shoes to switch into because she refused to wear "uncomfortable heels" all night... I think it is even more awesome that she refused to wear them because they were not her!

I apologize that I am so obsessed with her, but I have a soft spot for great people who do what they are good at and get recognized for it. Go girl!

1 comment:

Erika Hill said...

I love the idea of having a discussion about how we design ourselves-- it invites a very direct discussion about constructedess (we construct our own images) that can easily segue into deeper discussions of media construction.