Monday, January 28, 2008

not so secret messages...


I have been re-watching Arrested Development— a show that I sometimes can't get enough of. I was watching an episode that I have seen a few times and I didn't catch the blatant political satire until this last time around. It is about how the family has to build a new model home to improve the company's image. They plan to build it in two weeks and say, "it doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to look good." And they have a business "model" (a woman who used to assist with boat selling by just looking good in a sailor suit made for busty women.) Her sign says, "Solid as a Rock". When ever she comes out the music plays their slogan "solid as a rock" and it sounds like "Solid as Iraq". I never caught it before, but they play on the foreign policy and make many comments about how fast and hollow the house was built and after cutting the ribbon, the house falls to the ground...

Hmm.... what are they trying to tell me about the government here? More importantly, why am I so completely oblivious that I didn't catch the even more hilarious undertone of this one... shame on me.

No comments: